SFAC Adoptable Dogs
The Saint Frances Animal Center was created in 1983 ago by a small group of community members concerned about the plight of the area’s soaring population of homeless dogs and cats. Their mission is to provide a safe and nurturing environment for abandoned and mistreated dogs and cats until they can be placed in loving homes. Below are just a few of the great dogs that need to be adopted from SFAC. For the full listing of dogs, volunteer opportunities, & donation ideas visit their website here.
- A quiet home with adults would be ideal for Lady. She is nice dog that needs someone to give her a chance. She walks well on a leash and has her commands down pat. We have been working with her for some time now and she is very special to us.
- Cali is a very sweet little 17 lb 3 year old Jack Russell Terrier. She has tested positive for heartworms so we are looking for sponsors to help cover the cost of her treatment and also a foster home. Cali has a very sensitive trachea so will need to wear a harness.
- Jasmine is an exceptional dog! We estimate her Birthdate at 1-01-2008 making her 2 years of age. She arrived with a little of pups that were already weaned and we had received a littler of unweaned pups without their Mom. Jasmine took right to them and has been nursing and raising them like her own. She is loving and friendly and BEAUTIFUL; very vERY sweet and gentle nature. She does need some basic obedience training and leash work but she is an amazing young lady. She has tested Positive for Heartworms so we are looking for sponsors to help cover the cost of treatment and a foster home to take her through treatment.
- Kent is learning by leaps and bounds. He loves everyone he meets but still wants to jump on them to say "hello." Most people encourage it so we are making slow but sure progress in that area. But I have been amazed at how quickly he has learned the rest of his commands. He is a very lovable and smart guy who just needs love and structure. He chases cats but possibly just to play. He doesn't get along with every male dog he meets but seems to do well with females. He loves his new-found attention and wants to be close.
- Lucy is your typical sweet Hound (and a pretty one at that). She is very good with other dogs and seems to be fine with cats. She will chase them but means so harm. She responds well to firm direction and will learn commands as she does want to please. She is loving and affectionate inside but a bit of a wild child outside! She can be a bit apprehensive at first meeting but comes around quickly and asks for more petting !
- Suzy is your typical Hound: laid back, easy going & takes it all in stride. She gets along well with other dogs and showed little interest in the cats. Suzy is estimated to be approx 6 years of age and is looking for a good Old Retirement home; one that will give her the 3 find things in life and shower her with human kindness.
- Twila is a sweetheart. She looks as if she has some Boxer in her but the other genes are just a guess. She looks at you with those big brown puppy dog eyes and melts your heart. She loves to have her belly rubbed and just to be touched. She is gentle calm and sweet. We estimate her to be approx 1-2 years of age and she has tested positive for heartworms so we are looking for sponsors to help cover the cost of her treatment and also a foster home to take her through treatment.
- Stacy is your typical Hound: gentle, sweet and easy going. She responds well to leash walking and loves attention. One unique thing you notice about Stacy is that she has a shorter tail than your average hound!
- Cricket is a happy little cattle dog mix. She is easy going and walks well on a leash. She is fairly submissive, but is just so sweet. She enjoys having her belly rubbed too. We estimate her birthday to be 3-10-2009. She would be fine in almost any home environment.
- Jacob is a nice rotty lab mix. He is a bit unresponsive to people at first, but he is respectful of whoever is on the other end of the leash. With a little training this dog could make a wonderful companion for an active person or couple. Jacob is a really nice dog. Very affectionate. Picks up commands quickly. We took him to Petsmart last weekend and he was so relaxed and laid back. Nothing phased him. What a great family pet he would make. We just started working with him so his commands are very basic at this point but he is a quick learner.
- Pablo is a black lab/hound mix. He pulls on the leash, but responds well to correction. He is a strong dog, but has a very low prey drive. He could care less about cats and prefers to avoid them. He really like other dogs (big or small) and just wants to play.
- Ruger is a black lab Mix. Ruger is tentative and unsure when approached by new people. We do feel that a heavy handed approach to training was used with this sweet boy as he does flinch and cower when you touch him unexpectedly. He will need a patient and structured home. He enjoys being petted once he's comfortable and walks fairly well on a leash. He is always smiling and just want to be in a home where he is loved and never hit.
- Titan was brought in by animal control with a black collar on but no one has called to claim him! Here is a nice boy; respectful and responsive. He does pull a little on the leash but responded well to correction. He actually showed no interest in the cats at all, not even when they ran! He responded well to the other dogs that he has met and appears comfortable with them. He has tested positive for Heartworms so we are looking for sponsors to help cover the cost of his treatment and a foster home to take him through it. No small children please.
- Jillsy is a VERY sweet little girl who has had very little contact with people other than to help them hunt (and have puppies it seems). She is so docile and loving it is difficult to look at her with out saying ''aww." Those big brown eyes will melt your heart! She will need a Patient home but we feel that she will blossom in a quiet structured environment! We estimate her birthday to be 10-07-08.
- Cam arrived at the Center with several adorable puppies (they have ALL been adopted). She was very protective of her pups and appeared to be aggressive. Since all her pups have left she has made a complete personalitly change. She is very loving and gentle. She had been surviving on the streets by her own wits and doing quite well it seems. She is street smart as well. She was difficult to catch and we feel this was due to the fact that she was always shouted at and run off so she can be a bit apprehensive when you move quickly towards her. She has been placed in a foster home and is just blossoming. Her foster home states that she is loving and likes to follow then around the house. She is quiet in her crate and has had no accidents in the house. She is WONDERFUL on the leash..does not pull, waits for you if you stop and walks at an easy pace. She was a bit snarly to start with the large female dogs in the house but seems to enjoy the companionship of the smaller male dogs and is coming around with the females as well. Cam has tested Positive for heartworms so we are looking for sponsors to help cover the cost of her treatment. Cam's foster home states that if you want to adopt Cam but are concerned with taking her through treatment that they will do that for you. Cam is NOT at the Center so please call to make an appointment to meet her. Cam is estimated to be 3-5 years of age and weighs 20lbs. The perfect age and size!!